Sunday, March 07, 2010

The Good Things

Here's a brief list of things that have made me happy recently.

1. My mom's vegetable beef soup

This is simply the best soup I've ever had in my life. People who have had it know what's up. My mom has used this soup to 'compensate' friends of mine for doing favors, like fixing a computer or helping to move some furniture. What you might not know is that it oftentimes tastes even better the second day. A bowl of this soup, a piece of lightly buttered wheat bread, and a few pieces of cheese. It's hard to be in a bad mood about, well, anything really, after a meal like that.

2. My aunt getting married

My Aunt Kathy lost her only son, my cousin Chris, in a car accident about 7 years ago. It was extremely difficult for me, and that could only have been a minuscule portion of what she has had to go through. At the time, she was married to someone who was a pretty big asshole. He was selfish and manipulative and emotionally abusive; he somehow found a way to make the hardest part of her entire life even harder. They divorced about four or five years ago, and for the last few years she's been dating a long-time friend of hers. He's a nice, honest guy who treats her right. Everyone in the family is happy and relieved that she has ended up with him. Last Thursday they got married, and they are currently in Hawaii on honeymoon. She's finally got the kind of happiness she deserves.

3. Cake from Truffle's

This could almost be labeled 2(b), as it was at the wedding dinner on Thursday that we had cake from Truffle's (located in downtown Michigan City). The thing to know is that I don't even generally like cake. It's all just too...cakey. And sugary. And oh, the frosting; I generally can't stand the stuff. When it comes to cupcakes, I usually have to scrape off the giant mound of frosting, leaving just a faint paste along the top. A few bites of any kind of cake, and I've usually had my fill. Not with this cake, though. It's extremely light and not very sugary at all. The frosting is whipped cream frosting, and man is it good. Oh, and there's a thin layer of strawberry in the middle, not so much that it overwhelms but just enough to give a little hint of fruity deliciousness. Below that is a layer of what I believe to be cream cheese frosting? I don't actually know, but it's also not overpoweringly sweet. It all adds up to something that I find ridiculously delicious. There isn't a part of my brain that signals when I've had enough; I could probably eat myself to death on it. What a great way to go out, too.

4. Singing "Army" at karaoke night

Show of hands, who saw this coming? Yeah? Me either. I'm not one to generally like karaoke, but I was dragged willingly to a place with karaoke on Friday night. At first, I was my normal, hesitant, self-conscious, awkward self; I didn't want to do it. All it took was few beers and a healthy dose of good laughter and I changed my mind. I sang "Ziggy Stardust" (David Bowie) first and later "Everlong" (Foo Fighters). These were both fun choices. But it wasn't until I was sufficiently drunk and we were about to leave that my third choice "Army" (Ben Folds Five) started. I cut loose a little. I mean I got into it. It was good times. I hardly remember it; all I remember is that I loved it. I also remember that the lyrics on-screen were "Well I thought about the army / Dad said, son, you must be high" but we all know those aren't the real words and that's not what I sang.

5. The library

I have probably been to the library a dozen times this year already. I've checked out tons of books and movies. It's the sole reason that so many uninteresting evenings have been somewhat bearable. Unfortunately, the Michigan City Public Library doesn't have free wireless internet, which is something of a joke, but most libraries these days do. I just can't fathom all the money people can spend on entertainment when so much is available for free at the library. Netflix? Kindle? What's the point? The main library in Indianapolis is four or five floors! You could go in there every day after work for five years and barely scratch the surface. All for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment