Monday, May 17, 2010

"When I Return Home" (Recording)

Here's a song you probably haven't heard yet. It's not exactly new, but it's also not terribly old. It has existed for many eons in the nebulous void where songs go after I've written them but they aren't included in my live set. This is yet another in the growing list of material that's in a new or different style for me, and it sounds quite unlike anything I've ever done before or since.

I sequenced the drums and bass guitar in Reason, and the rest of it is just acoustic guitar and vocals. The drums sound a little stiff and robotic, and that was completely intentional. I had a little fun running them through the exquisite saturation/distortion plug-in that comes with Reason. The structure is straightforward, the style is pretty pop, and the vocal melody is simplistic.

Have a listen over on my MySpace page: http://www.myspace.com/lazychimp

Lately conversation's been strangled
I'm trying hard not to worry
But I wear it on my sleeve
No need to hurry now

I want you here with me

The phone rings and my heart starts beating
A hundred times a minute
But I won't forget it
Don't think about the distance

I know we'll go dancing
When I return home

There is one heart of mine
And it belongs to you
Don't you forget, keep this in mind
If you should want to stray

I hope you'll be waiting
When I return home

No comments:

Post a Comment